Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Gran Habano 3 Siglos

  • Country: Handmade in Danli, Honduras
  • Wrapper: Nicaragua
  • Binder: Nicaragua
  • Filler: Colombia, Costa Rica, Nicaragua
  • Size: Robusto 5 1/2 x 52
  • Price: $6.39 from a local Smoke Shop.

Pre-Light:

This cigar sports a nice light brown wrapper which is appealing. There are some prominent veins showing. I picked up a couple of soft spots on this firm cigar, otherwise not a bad looking stogie. I proceeded to clip and take a pre-draw before I light. I picked up a nice chocolate flavor and that was about it. Draw is good and time to proceed.

1/3:

So far so good for this cigar. Getting lots of thick creamy smoke complimented by a very good draw. Burn is good, no problems in that category. I am picking up an almond, toasty flavor which is pleasant. The finish is average. Nothing to write home about. The ash however is on the darker side. I have always encountered this problem with this cigar. Anywho, on to the....


2/3:

The toastiness has diminished and now I am picking up a flavor which I can not describe. It's not a bad flavor either. Still getting a good draw and billowing smoke. Strength has kicked up a notch here, but still a Medium bodied smoke. Now I have encoutered my first issue with this cigar. As you can see from the pic above the burn has decided to play games with me. Went from being a good burn to this. Okay, no biggie, this is a burn that I had to re-correct to get it even again.


3/3:

Just as I thought the burn was fixed after I re-corrected it. It decided to play games with me again. I just toughed it out till I was done with it. The toastiness came back and the strength is still the same. Finish is still average as before. I smoked this down to the last half inch and I was done.


Conclusion:

Outside the bad burn, this was not a bad smoke at all. I have smoked numerous amounts of these and I have always encountered the same problem, the burn. I was hoping I would get lucky and get a perfect one, but I am not that lucky. Otherwise, this cigar did change flavors on me a few times which was good. Excellent draw with thick creamy smoke is a treat. This is a Medium bodied smoke, even when the strength picked up, it was not harsh. Anywho, I think that you will enjoy this cigar. This was the Robusto size and at a 52 ring gauge, this was more than enough for me. Too bad Gran Habano doesn't make a Corona in this series. Oh well, I feel that you would enjoy this cigar. At just over $6 a stick, it would be worth to try one or two. Now as for my rating, I got to base the bad issue of this cigar on the burn. I was not pleased that after I re-corrected the burn, it decided to get all out of whack again. Though this could of been a minor issue, it turned out to be major. Therefore this cigar gets a rating of.....


Rating: C

No comments: